The digital age we live in today, absolutely everyone & everything worth mentioning is online. This means in order to remain competitive you need to have an online presence. It doesn’t matter what platform it is, you can find and do just about anything online now. It’s a minefield of mind-boggling information. But don’t fret, i’ve been there. I know exactly what it feels like to try and establish your business’ online presence and not knowing where to start is just the first obstacle. So, let’s start…
What is Online Presence?
Presence is existing. Online presence is existing on the internet. Sounds simple right? That’s because it really can be that simple. Online presence is all about how and where you can be found and most importantly, by who. It encompasses everything from your website to social media, including all interactions and your activity (blogs, posts, sharing, comments etc…). Even this blog that you’re reading now is me, adding to my online presence.
Why Is Online Presence Important?
Well here’s just 5 reasons as to why online presence is so important:
- It helps your customers find you. Your customers are always online and if you’re not there too, they’ll find someone else who is.
- You reach more people. Being online ensures you no longer limit the number of people you reach. It’s worldwide and it gives you access to powerful marketing tools such as Google and social media.
- It will help you build a stronger brand which will ultimately allow you to differentiate yourself from your competitors.
- It increases your credibility. These days, most customers are pretty internet savvy and will do their research before purchasing – and they do it online. If you’re not online, you immediately come across as less credible and your potential customers are likely to look elsewhere.
- Reputation management. People talk! Now when people talk, it’s online. Even if you’re not online, your customers are and whether it’s positive or negative, they will be talking about you. But, if you don’t know what they’re saying, then you’re powerless to maximise the opportunity.
I could go on but now that I’ve given you some brief background, let’s get down to the main point of this blog…
Is a website the most important tool for online presence?
If you’re asking me, to simply put it, yes. I wholeheartedly believe that a website is the most important aspect of your online presence. But that’s not to say all other aspects are irrelevant. Your online presence is built from multiple tools / platforms that work together in perfect harmony.
Importance Of A Website Vs Social Media
Your website should be the foundation of your online presence. Every piece of communication, content, or advertisement that you put online will drive the consumer back to your website. Your website is your central hub. It allows for endless customisations with freedom of design and expression. It will ultimately stand the test of time whilst all other platforms can / will demise. Even if you do not conduct online business, as I previously mentioned, your customers are online so they are expecting to see you there too.
Your website is your chance to present yourself without any restrictions. Unfortunately, as we do not own our social media profiles, they could be taken down without any notice. So with that being said, all other aspects of your online presence / branding should point back and funnel traffic to your website.
Furthermore, Google loves a good website (as long as it is built and designed well but, I can save that explanation for another post) and will almost always rank your website higher than any profile you may have on social media.
Your website embodies you / your business and ultimately showcases what you’re all about and without it, your branding and online presence is missing a very important puzzle piece.
However, that puzzle will remain incomplete if all the other pieces are missing. Without sounding contradictory, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter etc. are incredible platforms with amazing reach, so do not rule them out when building your online presence. Especially if you’re a Vlogger / YouTuber, as YouTube will then become your central hub!
Modern businesses ensure that their puzzles are complete and online presence is one of the most important investments that a business can make. The benefits are endless!
Nazrul Hoque – 01 September 2019